Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Homemade Hummus

I have tried a lot of different hummus recipes, and this is by far my favorite one!  We always have some homemade hummus at our house.  We love to eat it with raw carrots!  It's a great afternoon snack or a replacement for the chips that you would normally pair with your sandwich at lunch!  My husband and I like our hummus garlicky and lemony, so I adjusted the original recipe to fit our liking.  Also, the hummus is super easy to make and freezes well.  I buy dried bean (as opposed to canned), so that I don't have the added sodium and preservatives (plus it's cheaper).  I usually cook the dried beans the day before I am going to make the hummus.  I triple the recipe and then freeze half of it.  Once I pull out the container of frozen hummus from the freezer, I go ahead and make some more so that we always have hummus available to snack on.  Remember, the best way to eat healthy is to keep healthy options at the house!  On a side note, my toddler likes to eat hummus with a spoon!  I of course don't mind, because it's a healthy, REAL food item.  As I am sure you know Chickpeas (aka Garbanzos beans) are an excellent source of fiber, high in protein, a good source of iron and even has some calcium!    Hope you enjoy this delicious hummus recipe!

~Davis



click here for the TRADITIONAL HUMMUS recipe
(from 100 Days of Real Food)
Ingredients are the same as the recipe below, I just use different amounts.



Modified Traditional Hummus recipe:
Ingredients:
-2 cups cooked chickpeas
-a little cooking liquid (just depends on how thick you want it)
-4-5 Tbsp. pure lemon juice (one ingredient)
-1 Tbsp. Tahini
-2 garlic cloves
-2 Tbsp. Olive oil
-1 tsp. sea salt
-pepper to taste


All the ingredients are in the food processor. 

All done!


I had a group of ladies over and served hummus with carrots, blueberries & cantaloupe, homemade granola, raw almonds and popcorn.  


One of my favorite sandwiches...a Hummus Sandwich!  Whole Wheat bread, hummus, muenster cheese, spinach leaves, avocado  and slices of red bell pepper!

No comments:

Post a Comment