Friday, January 11, 2013

Whole Chicken in Crock Pot and Homemade Stock

We used to buy deli meat for sandwiches, but when I started this transformation to REAL food eating, I was in search for something less processed and more healthy.  I turned to the rotisserie chickens sold at Publix, but after looking at the ingredients list on the chickens, I still had the desire to feed my family something better.  So, I found this delicious recipe.  It's super easy and a money saver!  Making a whole chicken in the crock pot is less expensive than the deli meat or rotisserie chicken I was buying each week.  Also, I get more meat than I did when I bought the other two meat options.  And the "cherry on top" is that I know exactly what's going in my food, the chicken is not full of sodium, and it's a tasty, "clean" recipe!!  Oh and let's not forget how versatile this chicken is.   You can use the chicken on sandwiches, in soups, in casseroles, or just serve it for dinner with a couple of sides.  

As if all of this wasn't enough, the homemade chicken stock is just as wonderful as the whole chicken recipe (both recipes below)!!  I don't make stock every time  but I do like to keep a good supply of chicken stock in the freezer, so if I'm getting low, then I will make some more stock to freeze (the recipe below makes about 8-10 cups of stock).  I used to use chicken broth from the store, but never again.  The homemade chicken stock is lower in sodium, it's healthier and MUCH more tasty!!  It enriches the dishes I use it in MUCH more than the chicken broth I was buying.  

I look forward to you trying these two recipes!  I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

~Davis



click here for THE BEST WHOLE CHICKEN IN A CROCK POT recipe
(from: www.100DaysofRealFood.com)

Ingredients:
-paprika
-salt
-onion powder
-thyme
-garlic powder
-cayenne (red) pepper
-black pepper
-onion
-large chicken
A few notes: I cut off the skin before cooking the chicken and just rub the spices all of the chicken meat.  Also, I cook the chicken overnight (on low for 8-10 hours). 



click here for OVERNIGHT CHICKEN STOCK IN THE CROCK POT recipe
(from: www.100DaysofRealFood.com)

Ingredients:
-chicken bones and carcass
-onion
-celery (I omit this)
-carrot (I omit this)
-bay leaf
-parsley (I use 1 tsp dried parsley)
-thyme (I use 1 tsp dried thyme)
-salt (I use about 2 tsp sea salt)
-garlic (this is not in the original recipe, but I like to add 2 minced cloves of garlic)

All the spices for the chicken.  

The chicken is ready to start cooking!

About to start cooking the stock!

6 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to make some chicken stock, but didn't know how...great timing!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked with a friend of yours, Michelle, at Riverchase United Meth Church the other day and she your blog with me ..when I kept going on about foods and all the aweful ingredients.I already new about100days and I also follow food babe. Anxious to try recipes. on this one it says to add no liquid, I always ad liquid,so what do you do?
    Felicia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Felicia!! I know, I continue to be amazed at what's allowed in our foods!! As for the chicken, I never add liquid and it always turns out great!! I just made this yesterday and then made homemade stock today!! :) Hope this helps! Have a blessed evening!

      Delete
  3. This recipe looks awesome!!! Since I don’t use grain flour, do you think almond or coconut flour would work well as a substitute? Thanks!

    Harold Burton

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm on a cleanse and I can't have soy sauce. Can you think of a good sub.
    Joseph Donahue

    ReplyDelete