Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Soups: Butternut Squash, Black Bean & Split Pea

There's nothing better for dinner on these cold nights than a warm bowl of homemade soup!  I make a pot of soup about once a week during this time of the year.  I have found soups to be easy and cheap to make.  Also, there are a lot of healthy, delicious soup recipes out there!  In our house a pot of soup will last us at least two nights, so that's at least one evening off from cooking! :)  Below are three tasty, simple, healthy, soups made with REAL ingredients!  
Enjoy!
~Davis   




click here for BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP recipe

(from: www.100DaysofRealFood.com)

Ingredients:

-butternut squash
-butter (I used olive oil)
-leeks or onion (I used an onion)
-fresh ginger (I used 1 tsp. ground ginger)
-chicken stock
-heavy whipping cream (I used 1/4 cup milk and 1/4 cup butter)
-salt



click here for BLACK BEAN SOUP recipe
(from: www.RealFoodRealDeals.com)

ingredients:
-dried black beans (soaked overnight)
-broth (I used homemade chicken stock, click here for recipe)
-red onion
-sundried tomatoes* (I used 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes) 
-green chilies* (I like to use an Anaheim Chili or Hungarian Wax pepper or any other similar chili/pepper-make sure you remove the seeds and veins!)
-smoked paprika
-cayenne pepper
-salt & pepper

*I made these adjustments so that we wouldn't have the additives  from the sundried tomatoes and green chilies in the soup



(from: www.100DaysofRealFood.com)

Ingredients:

-olive oil
-onion
-salt
-pepper
-garlic
-bay leaf
-dried green split peas
-homemade chicken stock
-milk
-hot sauce

note:  I didn't puree the soup at all...we ate it "as is"




This is the Split Pea Soup.  Those four large brown pieces are my frozen homemade chicken stock.

The Split Pea soup is done cooking and it was delicious!
(I don't have any pictures of the other two soups.)





2 comments: