Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Homemade Mushroom Soup

I don't know what the weather is like where you live, but  when I went running this morning, The Weather Channel said it was 25 degrees and felt like 18 (and they were right!)!!!!  Fortunately, it's a sunny day and has warmed up a little, but it's still very cold.  So, what's the best thing to make on a cold day.....SOUP!  Like I've said before, we make a lot of soup during winter, so I will probably be posting many more soup recipes over the next month or so!

I made this mushroom soup a few days ago.  It had the house smelling yummy and when my husband got home from work he commented that whatever I was cooking smells good and he followed that statement up with, "so what's for dinner?"  Well, I guess I should tell you that my husband THINKS he doesn't like mushrooms (I like to tell him it's all in his head).  So, whenever I make something that has mushrooms in it, I try to "hide" them.  For example when I make the Pesto Veggie Whole Wheat Pizza, I always put the mushrooms on the very bottom and cover the mushrooms up with the other toppings and cheese (if my husband reads this post, then I guess my secret is out!).  I can get pretty creative, but you are probably asking yourself how does someone "hide" mushrooms in a MUSHROOM SOUP, right???  Well, I put the mushrooms in my food processor, which chopped them up real fine!  So, anyway, when my husband asked what we were having for dinner, I quietly answered, "soup.........chicken soup.........with some mushrooms."  A more accurate  description of the soup is a mushroom soup with some chicken added, but I was afraid the m-word would be a problem.  He didn't freak out and I am happy to report, he not only survived eating the mushroom soup, but he really liked  it too and was eager to have it again the following night!  HIGH FIVE TO THE CHEF!!!


My mother-in-law always tells me to keep making and serving those foods and he'll eventually come around.  Hope she's right!  Anyway, this mushroom soup was excellent and we will definitely be making it again.  Remember, mushrooms are so good for you and full of nutrients, so make this soup sometime this week and enjoy!  Your family will thank you!


~Davis



click here for HOMEMADE MUSHROOM SOUP recipe
(from: Season With Spice)

Ingredients:
-fresh mushrooms (I used 8-12 oz. White or Bella sliced mushrooms)
-olive oil 
-fresh garlic 
-butter 
-dried thyme (I used 1 tsp. dried thyme)
-bay leaf (I used 2 bay leaves)
-Worcestershire sauce (**omitted-see below)
-chicken or vegetable stock (I used 1 1/2 cups of homemade chicken stock)
-flour (I omitted this ingredient)
-salt (I used 3/4 tsp. salt)
-heavy cream (I omitted the heavy cream and just used milk-see next ingredient)
-milk (I used 2 cups whole milk)
-nutmeg (I used 1/8 tsp. nutmeg)
-pepper
-chopped cooked chicken - amount varies (I just used some of the chicken I had cooked in the crock pot earlier in the week)

*This recipes serves 2.  I would suggest doubling the recipe.
**I omitted this ingredient and the soup tasted great!  There is just too much "stuff" in Worcestershire sauce, so we don't use it. 





Homemade Mushroom Soup





No comments:

Post a Comment