Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Chicken/Beef Enchiladas

Does your family like Mexican food as much as we do?  Daniel and I love to eat Mexican dishes, so often times that is what's for dinner!  Last night, we ate this Enchilada dish and it was delicious!  This was not your typical Enchilada dish.  The cinnamon in it gives it a nice flavor.   See the recipe below.  
Enjoy and Happy New Year! 
~Davis


By the way, I welcome any and all feedback concerning my blog and recipes.  I will get better as time goes, but I am still learning how this blogging thing works! :)  I hope this blog becomes very interactive and that we can all learn from each other along the way!  Please let me know if you have any thoughts or questions concerning the recipe.    :)


click here for CHICKEN ENCHILADA recipe  

(from: www.100DaysofRealFood.com)

Ingredients: 

-whole-grain corn tortillas (I used sprouted grain tortillas-see picture below)
-chicken (I used around 1.5 lbs. ground beef in place of the chicken)
-brown rice
-frozen corn kernels
-tomato paste
-chili powder
-ground cumin
-tomato sauce
-cayenne pepper
-ground cinnamon
-*cheese (I used a block of Colby & Monterey Jack cheese)
-sour cream (I prefer plain Greek yogurt, as it has more protein than sour cream)
-cilantro (I used dried cilantro)
-avocado/guacamole


*We prefer block cheese to shredded cheese for many reasons.  Block cheese is creamier, usually cheaper than pre-shredded cheese and doesn't have the anti-caking additive(s).  Also, shredded cheese looks white and "powdery" to me.



These are the tortillas I like to buy.  They are in the frozen section.  See the picture below with the ingredients listed. 
Here are the ingredients list for the tortillas (wish I knew how to rotate this picture,  sorry!)
If it's too small to read here's the list: organic sprouted wheat, filtered water, organic sesame seeds, organic sprouted soybeans, organic sprouted barley, organic sprouted millet, organic sprouted lentils, organic sprouted spelt, sea salt. 

Out of the oven....Yummy!!!

Served with a side of fresh pineapple and red grapes. (I'll eventually learn how to get these pictures rotated)









5 comments:

  1. That looks delish! I think I'm going to try it tomorrow. And I think, when you're in the edit version of a post, you can right click and rotate the photos. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Emily! Thanks for commenting and I hope you enjoy this dish! As for the pictures, I tried what you suggested and it didn't work. There are several kinks I am still trying to work on on this blog, but hopefully I'll get them all worked out soon. ~Davis :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We really really liked this and I love that I can freeze a portion!Enjoyed this with sour cream and jalepenos! Very easy! Thanks Davis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Vida! Thanks for taking time to comment! We haven't made this in a while, so I think we may make it again in the next week or so! Glad you enjoyed it and found it easy! :)

      Delete