Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Maple Nut Snack Mix

I love to keep healthy, REAL food snacks at the house and if you are looking for a sweet & salty snack, then you will enjoy this!  Also, it was very easy to throw together.  

I originally thought I would use some raw cashew in this, but they are a little more pricey than some of the other nuts, so I decided to try raw peanuts in this recipe.  Also, when looking for pretzels, it's very important to read the labels.  I had a difficult time finding pretzels with minimal, quality ingredients.  Some pretzel packages listed over 10 ingredients!  I finally found some UNIQUE pretzels at Fresh Market.  These pretzels have six ingredients and they are ingredients that I could find in my kitchen (Unbleached Wheat Flour, Water, Canola Oil, Salt, Yeast and Soda).  These pretzels are large, so I broke them up to go in the snack mix.  Lastly, as mentioned below, I didn't put apricots in my mixture, due to the sulphur (or sulfur) dioxide that was in all the dried apricots I found.  

This snack didn't last long in our house....hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

~Davis


click here for MAPLE NUT SNACK MIX recipe
(from: Real Food. Real Deals.)

Ingredients:
-raw nuts (I used peanuts, almonds, walnuts)
-100% pure maple syrup
-salt
-coconut oil
-water
-vanilla extract
-whole wheat pretzels
-raisins
-chopped apricots - I omitted this ingredient*

NOTE: The recipe suggests cooking the nuts in a slow cooker, but I roasted them in the oven at 300 degrees.  Combine mixture and nuts.  Put some parchment paper on a cookie sheet and dumped the nuts on the parchment paper.  After 15 minutes of cooking, stir the nuts.  Cook for an additional 15 minutes and then they are done. 

*The only dried apricots I could find had a preservative added, so I decided to leave the apricots out.  


Maple Nut Snack Mix





No comments:

Post a Comment